To encourage North Huntingdon youth to become involved in local government, the North Huntingdon Township Board of Commissioners has instituted a “Junior Commissioner Program.” This program will help students better understand local government and how it works by participating in discussions at Board meetings. A Junior Commissioner will be able to add a student perspective to the decision-making process of his or her local government governing body. Candidates will be selected in cooperation with school district that serves North Huntingdon Township residents, primarily the Norwin School District.
Candidates shall submit a resume along with an essay of up to 300 words on why they want to serve as a Junior Commissioner to Harry R. Faulk, Township Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Board of Commissioners will review each candidate’s qualifications, conduct interviews, and make selections based on candidate qualifications.
The following are the requirements for the Junior Commissioner position:
- North Huntingdon Township resident.
- Incoming high school juniors or seniors at Norwin School District.
- Candidates must take a pledge of office.
- Serve a term coinciding largely with the school year (September/October through June)
- Attend Board of Commissioner meetings.
- Write a monthly report to the Board of Commissioners.
- The Junior Commissioner will not be permitted to vote.
- The Junior Commissioner will not be permitted to attend “executive sessions.”
The Junior Commissioner will participate in all forms of Commissioner business. He/she will be encouraged to participate in discussions, ask questions and give opinions, recognizing that Commissioners speak first. He/she must observe all commissioner meeting rules. The Junior Commissioner will be encouraged to declare a project or an area of focus. The Junior Commissioner’s report will appear as an item on the second Board of Commissioners meeting agenda of the month under staff reports. Please contact the Township Manager, Harry R. Faulk for questions at 724-863-3806 x 203.